Blood on the Clocktower game

This forum is for any non-game, non-CofD system related discussions. Please keep in mind our Site Policies and Code of Conduct when picking out topics; this forum isn't a free for all.

Inappropriate topics may be locked or removed.

Moderator: WW6 Administrators

JeffV

Blood on the Clocktower game

Post by JeffV » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:50 pm

Hey all,

Long lost admin.. looking to run something for fun for people. I've been doing a lot lately with a game "Blood in the Clocktower" and was curious if there was interest in people to try it out and play it.

What is Blood on the Clocktower?
A social deduction game. It's like "Werewolf", but everyone has an ability and is in play even after death. Every day, the village will vote to determine who is executed. Each night, the demon will select a player in the village to die. Additionally, the game is narrated by a Storyteller (myself in this case) to make sure that the game stays interesting through to the end.

What's the goal of the game?
For the townfolk: Kill the Demon! (what could be easier?)
For the demon & minions: Survive until the end (Your lies will certainly not catch up with you)

What sort of characters do we play as?
Evil
  • The Demon - You get to kill someone every night, and you know other characters not in the same so you can bluff as them!
  • The Poisoner - You poison someone every night, making their power misfire, making it not function or provide incorrect information
  • The Scarlet Woman - If the Imp Dies, you become the imp! Take that good team!
  • The Spy - You know everyone's role in the game. What would you do with perfect knowledge?
Good
  • The Washerwoman - You know one of two people are also good. Will they trust you back?
  • The Monk - You can protect someone every night, preventing the demon from killing them.
  • The Undertaker - You find out the role of the player executed the previous day. Provides a lot of information, at the cost of life.
  • The Drunk - You think you're a different role, but all of your information is wrong. Can you figure out that you're drunk? Do you believe that someone else claims to be drunk when their lies catch up to them?
  • The Slayer - You can attempt to kill the demon, once.. make your shot count
  • The Saint - You are a part of the good team, but if the town executes you... they lose.
  • The Fortune Teller - Every night you can select two players and find out if one of them is the demon. But beware, one good player is a red herring and will register as evil for you.
  • The Recluse - You're on the fringes of town, and are good. Why won't anyone believe you? You may register as evil for any character that looks for evil characters.
There's many more.. the Trouble Brewing script can be found at https://bloodontheclocktower.com/wiki/Trouble_Brewing

How will we play?
I will set up some channels on Discord. There are also online tools that will be used.

Where can I find out more?
https://bloodontheclocktower.com/ -- Game site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sfa8_kNxsQ -- active paythrough of the game

I don't know.. it seems like a lot to take in....
I would encourage you to take a chance, hang out, and try it. I've been having a lot of fun with it and am wanting to try my hand at storytelling it and possibly making more new fans for the game.

Shut up and tell me how I can play!
Respond to this thread... I will get a date on the calendar. I would like to try to get 8-10 players together to run my first game online.
Quality means knowing when to say No.
Doing nothing is not awesome.
astray
Player
My Werewolf: Tempest Pax
My Herald: Harper Spring

Post by astray » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:56 pm

I only kinda skimmed it and half understand what's happening but I'm in
JeffV

Post by JeffV » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:05 am

JeffV

Post by JeffV » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:23 pm

I forgot to note, that this will be played on voice channel(s) on the player discord server.
JeffV

Post by JeffV » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:02 pm

Addressing some common questions I've gotten when talking to people about this on chat:

How many players do you need?
I would like to have 10 ideally, but can run a functional game at 7-8.

Why are you doing this? This isn't WoD.
That is correct, it's not. But it is something different to do during this bit of transition time.

I don't have time for a new game
This is all just effectively a one shot. It's a social deduction game and at the end of the game one team has won or the other. There is no long term commitments. I could honestly run a game of this at most any time with the number of people in the lobby just sitting.

Does this have to be done on voice?
Strictly speaking, no. But it would make the game take at least twice as long and there are a number of other intangibles and tangibles that would be missed. As such, I am fully committed to running this via voice on the player discord server. I have setup some test rooms, but disabled them until the game actually is running so that the widget doesn't look funky.
JeffV

Post by JeffV » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:59 pm