Starting a Home Werewolf Chronicle - House Rule Opinion?

This forum is for any non-game, non-CofD system related discussions. Please keep in mind our Site Policies and Code of Conduct when picking out topics; this forum isn't a free for all.

Inappropriate topics may be locked or removed.

Moderator: WW6 Administrators

DaniM
Integral Player
My Vampire: Mary Adams
My Werewolf: Ellie Dalton

Starting a Home Werewolf Chronicle - House Rule Opinion?

Post by DaniM » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:57 am

Hey all,

I'm going to be starting a Werewolf the Forsaken game at home (1st Edition), and was considering adding the following rule to make Gauru form feel less... meaningless? Underpowered?

As is the case in 2nd Edition Werewolf, I was tempted to make it so that werewolves in Gauru form regenerate ALL lethal and bashing damage each turn. The reason for this is that, using the RAW, the only two benefits of taking to Gauru form is the Armour 1/1 and +3 to Strength (and since Urshul receives +2, that isn't a HUGE benefit). There needs to be something else that makes taking Gauru form worth the risk that its constant threat of Death Rage (at -2 penalty) poses.

Any thoughts from you guys? Any problems you think might arise from this related to some other written rule I may have missed? Any "combat plugs" from Armoury Reloaded (which I don't own) that might be worth adding instead of, or alongside, the aforementioned ruling?

Thanks in advance!
Playing As:
ELLIE DALTON, Cahalith Iron Master & Alpha of the Red Hand pack (Werewolf the Forsaken 2.0)
MARY ADAMS, Mekhet of the First Estate (Vampire the Requiem 2.0)
Regentwill
My Vampire: Markus Kincaid

Post by Regentwill » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:59 am

I mean, adding that rule would make combat significantly less risky. I know just based on the fact that you regenerate all damage, but you also have to consider in 2nd ed weapons ADD damage to the total, making it easier to crossover that thresh hold from lethal to aggravated, where as in 1st ed. weapon damage is only rolled, which would make people more likely to hit, but make combat less lethal overall.

I fully believe if it's a game of nothing but werewolves, it doesn't matter what house rules you use as long as it affects everyone the same, but I do think that is something to consider.
Player of:
Markus the WIZARD
DaniM
Integral Player

Post by DaniM » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:17 am

Making it so that weapons deal automatic successes instead of bonus dice might help then. That said, it's also worth remembering that Defence in 1.0 is a lot lower a stat on average than in 2.0, as it equals lower of Dexterity or Wits without any increase from Athletics. So a werewolf in this edition with Wits 3, Dexterity 4, Athletics 3 and a Defence of 6 would only ever have Defence 3 in 1.0, regardless of form.
Playing As:
ELLIE DALTON, Cahalith Iron Master & Alpha of the Red Hand pack (Werewolf the Forsaken 2.0)
Regentwill

Post by Regentwill » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:34 am

Yes, but as I am sure you have noticed, even with the increased defense in 2.0 Combat is significantly more deadly with both the larger amount of ways to ignore defense (Being in Garu, Cheap shot, surprise attacks, ambushes, guns in some cases, immobilized enemies, tilts, etc.) and the higher damage one can deal. Now mind you, this isn't simply a "Add weapon damage" bonus, bu the various other tricks, such as gifts that add purity in automatic damage, or gifts that increase the damage from claws, etc. I've seen Vampires with Vigor rock 4 dice to hit, get 1 success, and deal 8 damage.

It's really all kind of crazy and works together, but the question I would ask, is do you want combat to be dangerous and deadly for your players, or do you want it to be fast and fun? There is no wrong answer. If you just want to help your players feel like they are an 8 foot tall unstoppable killing machine for a few rounds, go for just giving them Garu regeneration.
Player of:
Markus the WIZARD
DaniM
Integral Player

Post by DaniM » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:02 am

I'm looking for the middle ground.

If regeneration is too much, then I might just consider increasing the Strength and Stamina bonuses in Gauru from +3 and +2, respectively, to +4 and +3.

I just want to ensure that Gauru is worth taking in combat because, RAW, I don't think its benefits outweigh its drawbacks. You might as well just take Urshul form and take a Brawl specialty for it - do that, and you're pretty much fighting with the same benefits as Gauru, but without the constant threat of Death Rage (at a -2 penalty).
Playing As:
Regentwill

Post by Regentwill » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:15 am

I think Increasing the bonus to strength and stamina is a good way to go if you want to keep it deadly but also make it more appealing. Or you could, say, add dice to your brawl attacks, deal aggravated damage, or things like that. I mean regeneration isn't a terrible idea, you can even tone it down, say automatically regenerate PUx2 in damage each round. Tons of ideas! Go with the golden rule!
Player of:
Markus the WIZARD
DaniM
Integral Player

Post by DaniM » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:47 am

Times like this I wish I had Armoury Reloaded - might have a look at a few combat hacks from that.
Playing As: