Custom Items, Crafting, and other tidbits

Discuss rules and clarifications for Chronicles of Darkness (aka 2nd Edition/2E) publications.

Discussions can include books not available for play in Wanton Wicked.

Moderators: WW7 Rules Master, WW7 Administrators

ChrisF
Rules Master

Custom Items, Crafting, and other tidbits

Post by ChrisF » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:33 pm

So, a few quick announcements regarding custom items/powers and crafting, just so there's no confusion about how it all works, as well as a few small changes or clarifications to existing procedure.

1) Custom Powers and Items will now be added to your sheet by me once you're ready to purchase it, so I can add it to the wiki then without needing to get reminders from people.

2) ALL custom requests, whether for powers, magic items, or mundane crafting (if a custom piece of equipment), go to the Rules Master group, via the Custom Item/Power request type.
2a) As a side note, while custom equipment has no actual monthly limit, please finish your last bit of crafting before starting on something new.

3) Please note that custom equipment has to deal with the same balance concerns as everything else. Just because the book doesn't explicitly stop you from making leather gloves that deal +5L damage with 9again doesn't mean that will actually be approved. Try to balance custom equipment to what already exists, and note that anything above a +3 dice equipment bonus will be rare and need a very good reason.

4) As another note, I went through the Custom Powers wiki page (here), and a few powers were tweaked due to loopholes discovered IC or after the fact, or just balance concerns that weren't fully accounted for. If you've submitted or are using powers from there, please give it a look over.
WW6 Rules Master
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:16 pm

I'd like to make a quick post to reiterate point 3 again, as it's come up a fair bit lately, especially with weapons.

In general, when making a new version of something existing, or using another weapon as your base point of comparison, improving one thing comes at the cost of something else; sometimes this will be a literal cost such as raising the Availability, but other times it might mean a negative tag, a further initiative penalty, a loss of range, or whatever else.
WW6 Rules Master