Rules Clarifications (Player Input required!)

Discuss rules and clarifications for Chronicles of Darkness (aka 2nd Edition/2E) publications.

Discussions can include books not available for play in Wanton Wicked.

Moderators: WW7 Rules Master, WW7 Administrators

ChrisF
Rules Master

Re: Rules Clarifications (Player Input required!)

Post by ChrisF » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:39 am

TLotts wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:08 am In the Fairest clause of the Riddle Kith Changeling contract, it says that the ling gets 'a number of appropriate Merit dots equal to her Wyrd'. Is that effected by things like Dual Kith or Potent Kith merits? Those don't usually effect things other than Kith blessings, but this is directly tied to the new Kith assumed by the contract, so maybe? Like if a PC had Wyrd 3, Dual Kith, and Potent Kith 2, would they get 3 dots of merits for the Wyrd 3, 2 dots because that would be Wyrd 3-1 for the Dual Kith Penalty, or 4 dots for Wyrd-Dual Kith penalty + Potent Kith??
No, that uses their normal Wyrd.
WW6 Rules Master
Revelry
Integral Player

Post by Revelry » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:48 pm

Mage McForgehands creates an imbued item with their shiny new Prime 4 for personal use.
Does Mage pay full xp if the spell isn't relinquished?
Does Mage pay full xp if the spell is relinquishes by spending Willpower?
Does Mage pay a discounted price if the spell was relinquished by exceptional success?
Does Mage have to buy back willpower spent to relinquish because they were unlucky?
Can Mage forgo sanctity of merits on the item?
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:47 pm

Revelry wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:48 pm Mage McForgehands creates an imbued item with their shiny new Prime 4 for personal use.
Does Mage pay full xp if the spell isn't relinquished?
Does Mage pay full xp if the spell is relinquishes by spending Willpower?
Does Mage pay a discounted price if the spell was relinquished by exceptional success?
Does Mage have to buy back willpower spent to relinquish because they were unlucky?
Can Mage forgo sanctity of merits on the item?
WP dot relinquishment for magic items with an XP cost is included in the XP cost, whether you use it or give it to someone else. There's no discount for exceptional successes.If you want to keep it unrelinquished, XP still had to be paid but you keep the normal benefits of not relinquishing it otherwise.

And what do you mean by forgoing sanctity of merits? Just not getting the XP back?
WW6 Rules Master
Regentwill
My Vampire: Markus Kincaid

Post by Regentwill » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:19 am

Gun questions!

As I understand it, aiming bonus can only be applied against the first shot in a medium to long round burst.

But! Can you make targeted shots in those same bursts?

For instance, can you make a three-round burst against three targets and target the head with each shot? I would assume this would be more difficult, but that would already be accounted for in the roll (-3 for the 3 targets with an additional -3 for each head shot).

Would enhanced senses like with Quicken Sight make this possible if it were not normally possible? Or perhaps other spells like you might have with Time or Forces?
Player of:
Markus the WIZARD
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:57 am

Regentwill wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:19 am Gun questions!

As I understand it, aiming bonus can only be applied against the first shot in a medium to long round burst.

But! Can you make targeted shots in those same bursts?

For instance, can you make a three-round burst against three targets and target the head with each shot? I would assume this would be more difficult, but that would already be accounted for in the roll (-3 for the 3 targets with an additional -3 for each head shot).

Would enhanced senses like with Quicken Sight make this possible if it were not normally possible? Or perhaps other spells like you might have with Time or Forces?
I'd say you can make a targeted attack against the first person you're targeting but not the rest, as it really implies deliberate aim that's just not possible in a split second sweep. Devotions and Spells might work in a scene for a given circumstance at narrator discretion, I'll think through a long term ruling for it.
WW6 Rules Master
blackshade10
Player

Post by blackshade10 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:45 am

If you were to use Chrysalis to transform yourself into an object(say, a chair), would you count as an object for the purposes of effects while within that form, or would you count as a Living creature? example: If I was a chair, Honing the Form could not apply to me, but Aegis could.

In the vein of a similar contract: If I were to use Phantom Glory with the Elemental aspect, if an armor increasing effect was on me, such as a Kith blessing like Metalflesh, or a spell such as Aegis, does the catch fail? If someone were to cast an armor-increasing effect on my clothes, like Aegis, while Phantom Glory was active, would the effect then instantly end, even if it was against my will?
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:52 am

blackshade10 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:45 am If you were to use Chrysalis to transform yourself into an object(say, a chair), would you count as an object for the purposes of effects while within that form, or would you count as a Living creature? example: If I was a chair, Honing the Form could not apply to me, but Aegis could.

In the vein of a similar contract: If I were to use Phantom Glory with the Elemental aspect, if an armor increasing effect was on me, such as a Kith blessing like Metalflesh, or a spell such as Aegis, does the catch fail? If someone were to cast an armor-increasing effect on my clothes, like Aegis, while Phantom Glory was active, would the effect then instantly end, even if it was against my will?
That first part I need to think on a bit, and will get back to you on (perhaps adding an entry to the wiki if needed).

The second, a kith blessing or similar always-on sort of inherent thing won't end it, but a spell or other power used after the fact would.
WW6 Rules Master
Vannex
Integral Player

Post by Vannex » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:45 pm

Once a spell is cast on a subject, could increasing the size of the subject cause a situation where not the entire subject is no longer covered by that spell? Could it be set to be done so intentionally?

Or once a spell takes hold, will a change in the subject's size change not matter?

Example 1: Someone shrinks a box to size 5.
The box is made invisable as a size 5, with no additional scale.
The shrink is undone, the box is bigger than size 5 again.

Example 2: Uratha has cast upon it, a spell that provides it a bonus while it's size 5 or less scale
Uratha Shifts to Urshul. Bonus and the benefit goes away.
Uratha shifts to Urhan. Bonus and the benefit returns.
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:40 pm

Vannex wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:45 pm Once a spell is cast on a subject, could increasing the size of the subject cause a situation where not the entire subject is no longer covered by that spell? Could it be set to be done so intentionally?
Yes, if someone's size changes and the Scale no longer accounts for them, they're no longer affected by the spell.
WW6 Rules Master
Cinn

Post by Cinn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:04 am

What about spells and withstand? Is it only checked when the spell is casted, or would a change in withstand affect the spell for the entire duration?

Example:
A cast a Mind spell on a subject to perform a specific task for me, duration is a month, withstood by resolve. Potence is 4, subject has 3 resolve, so the spell succeeds. After a week, the subject gains a dot of Resolve (whether permanent or temporary), does this now reduce Potency to 0, and thus render the spell innert?

Example 2:
I cast Many Faces - withstood by Stamina - at potency 2. The spell allows me to rearrange Physical Attribute dots, so I move a point of strength and dexterity to Stamina. Now, I have two more stamina, and the spell is withstood by stamina, does it then become withstood, and because it is withstood, it no longer affects the subject, so stamina drops back to original levels, and now it is no longer withstood, in an endless cycle? What happens?
Vannex
Integral Player

Post by Vannex » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:57 am

1) Can a life healing knit or mend produce a healing 0bashing 0Leathal, 0Agg, and still stabilize without causing the target to wake up?
Or would a -2 combined cast to damage and heal at the same time be required?
if the latter, would this cause no net harm approach if that was required, test wisdom?

Bullseye (••): Your character places her shots to hit deep
into an opponent’s weak spots. When attacking a specified
target you may lower your bow’s damage rating to any
amount (0 or greater) to add +1 and the 8-again quality to
the attack roll.
a) Can bowmanship provide more than +1 to an attack roll dicepool?
b) Does the 8-again come free with the first +1 to hit -1 damage penalty?
Ondine

Post by Ondine » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:37 pm

The Medium Merit and the Camera Obscura are ones that are confusing me. I feel like both go to ghosts, but they reference spirits and ephemeral beings as well as things it can effect. I'm sticking with ghosts IC right now, but how exactly do these work? It seems like if you could hear spirits all the time you'd lose it quick.
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:54 pm

Cinn wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:04 am What about spells and withstand? Is it only checked when the spell is casted, or would a change in withstand affect the spell for the entire duration?

Example:
A cast a Mind spell on a subject to perform a specific task for me, duration is a month, withstood by resolve. Potence is 4, subject has 3 resolve, so the spell succeeds. After a week, the subject gains a dot of Resolve (whether permanent or temporary), does this now reduce Potency to 0, and thus render the spell innert?

Example 2:
I cast Many Faces - withstood by Stamina - at potency 2. The spell allows me to rearrange Physical Attribute dots, so I move a point of strength and dexterity to Stamina. Now, I have two more stamina, and the spell is withstood by stamina, does it then become withstood, and because it is withstood, it no longer affects the subject, so stamina drops back to original levels, and now it is no longer withstood, in an endless cycle? What happens?
It's when it's cast. Otherwise spending willpower would be useless on anything lasting longer than a turn.

Vannex wrote: 1) Can a life healing knit or mend produce a healing 0bashing 0Leathal, 0Agg, and still stabilize without causing the target to wake up?
Or would a -2 combined cast to damage and heal at the same time be required?
if the latter, would this cause no net harm approach if that was required, test wisdom?

Bullseye (••): Your character places her shots to hit deep
into an opponent’s weak spots. When attacking a specified
target you may lower your bow’s damage rating to any
amount (0 or greater) to add +1 and the 8-again quality to
the attack roll.
a) Can bowmanship provide more than +1 to an attack roll dicepool?
b) Does the 8-again come free with the first +1 to hit -1 damage penalty?
1) Stabilizing alone seems like a Ruling spell to me, I'd suggest a CT

2) Yes, each reduction is +1. The 8-again comes with it.
Ondine wrote: The Medium Merit and the Camera Obscura are ones that are confusing me. I feel like both go to ghosts, but they reference spirits and ephemeral beings as well as things it can effect. I'm sticking with ghosts IC right now, but how exactly do these work? It seems like if you could hear spirits all the time you'd lose it quick.
They apply to ephemeral entities in general. The wording is awful, yes. I'll put that clarification on the wiki.
WW6 Rules Master
Mephi

Post by Mephi » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Sorry to bother you, but here's an odd interaction that's recently come up for Vampire.

Mandragora Gardens produce dots x 2 in animal blood a month, in the form of sap, nectar or other fluids.
The Primal Creation style doubles the size and fertility of any plants. As well, it can clone any flora or fauna.

Would Primal Creation increase the mandrake garden's yield?
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 am

Mephi wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:51 pm Sorry to bother you, but here's an odd interaction that's recently come up for Vampire.

Mandragora Gardens produce dots x 2 in animal blood a month, in the form of sap, nectar or other fluids.
The Primal Creation style doubles the size and fertility of any plants. As well, it can clone any flora or fauna.

Would Primal Creation increase the mandrake garden's yield?
Itd increase their size normally but not the lacrima yield. Though continued use of that style might justify increases in the merit
WW6 Rules Master