Rules Clarifications (Player Input required!)

Discuss rules and clarifications for Chronicles of Darkness (aka 2nd Edition/2E) publications.

Discussions can include books not available for play in Wanton Wicked.

Moderators: WW7 Rules Master, WW7 Administrators

BloodyQuill
My Vampire: Walter Ashcrofte

Re: Rules Clarifications (Player Input required!)

Post by BloodyQuill » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:56 pm

The enhanced item merit from mage confuses me a little. Using the rules for spell casting there doesn't seem to be a way to make items like there suggesting are possible. Am I missing something ?
Vannex
Integral Player

Post by Vannex » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:14 pm

ChrisF wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:34 pm
Regentwill wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 pm Does the Mage write up for Universal Language, also apply to First tongue?

It's my understanding that physically most humans can't physically form the words for the First Tongue.

Thanks for clarification!
It applies to first tongue, in that it'd allow someone to understand it, but it doesn't provide magical vocal chords that speak it properly, no.

This has actually come up, you don't have the vocal chords that allow you to speak first tongue, but you CAN speak it harshly, like a first year lanugage student talking to someone who is fluent, so would the mage spell recreate that as well?
It won't let them speak it 'properly', but they can make the same attempt as any human with the language, yes.
Life 3 modifications to the caster should allow proper vocal adjustments to make whale and dolphin whistles and clicks, I'm thinking first tongue might also should be possible in conjunction with Universal Language
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:50 pm

BloodyQuill wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:56 pm The enhanced item merit from mage confuses me a little. Using the rules for spell casting there doesn't seem to be a way to make items like there suggesting are possible. Am I missing something ?
Not in the book, no. But it also covers other permanently enhanced objects via spells in general.
WW6 Rules Master
BloodyQuill

Post by BloodyQuill » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Alright so if we have access to the right spells we can just make Enhanced Items despite there being no rules to make spells work the way they're listed in the merit? Like if I wanted a baseball cap of awesome intellect that granted the wearer +5 to Intelligence it seems like I'd just need Mind 3 for the Augment Mind spell?
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:54 pm

BloodyQuill wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:52 pm Alright so if we have access to the right spells we can just make Enhanced Items despite there being no rules to make spells work the way they're listed in the merit? Like if I wanted a baseball cap of awesome intellect that granted the wearer +5 to Intelligence it seems like I'd just need Mind 3 for the Augment Mind spell?
No, enhanced items are the subject of the spell, to be clear. It would cover, for instance, casting Aegis on armor permanently
WW6 Rules Master
BloodyQuill

Post by BloodyQuill » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:16 pm

Alright so making an item like that is impossible then?
GarethTheLoud
6.0 Architect

Post by GarethTheLoud » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Basically you are going for indefinite/permanent duration on the spell which enhances the item. I guess for most spells, like Aegis, you still have to relinquish the spell with all that entails, or have it take up a slot. The advantage of buying it with merit dots would appear to be that someone else relinquished the spell, so your item is now bad ass.

What BloodyQuill seems to be describing sounds more like an imbued item. That is a Prime 4 attainment.

Edit: So way I always used this - Imbued items have spell like effects, enhanced items due what that item normally did, only better. So armor is more bad ass, damage is higher, etc. unfortunately, reading the text in the book on page 101, the writing is very unclear. I think this is still their intent, so if you want an Aegis enhanced item, it would be a 3 dot merit. A sword that has an extra equipment bonus would have a merit cost equal to that extra equipment bonus. I guess the catch is - can the spell in question target the item to enhance it. If yes, enhanced item. If the item is intended to allow the user to cast a spell like effect, then imbued item.
Retias
Integral Player

Post by Retias » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:46 am

The level 1 Time spell Postcongition. Can it only affect the Mage in question, or can the mage give others the chance to view the past?
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Retias wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:46 am The level 1 Time spell Postcongition. Can it only affect the Mage in question, or can the mage give others the chance to view the past?
By default, only the mage can be affected, since the 'subject(s)' of the spell are just the target for what the mage looks into.
WW6 Rules Master
Bawitababadook
Player

Post by Bawitababadook » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:20 pm

If you have a spirit of fire thats a living flame, does it still naturally burn things when it touches them and have the same physical property as fire?
Tarstainedangel
Player

Post by Tarstainedangel » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:15 am

Hi. Was looking over the House rules Wiki again for mages and saw something I missed the first time:
"Merits and abilities that subtract from a type of power’s resisted dice pool instead raises Withstand by 1/2 the amount (round up) when dealing with spells."
Could you perhaps provide an example of how that works as I don't quite understand the wording of it.
Thank you.
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:52 am

Bawitababadook wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:20 pm If you have a spirit of fire thats a living flame, does it still naturally burn things when it touches them and have the same physical property as fire?
That's up to the narrator running the scene, essentially. By RAW, for the sake of things like retainers and familiars, no.
Tarstainedangel wrote: Hi. Was looking over the House rules Wiki again for mages and saw something I missed the first time:
"Merits and abilities that subtract from a type of power’s resisted dice pool instead raises Withstand by 1/2 the amount (round up) when dealing with spells."
Could you perhaps provide an example of how that works as I don't quite understand the wording of it.
Thank you.
The main example of this is the INdomitable merit; it provides a -2 penalty to Resisted powers, so it provides you with 1 Withstand against mental spells that fall under the merit's purview, for instance.
WW6 Rules Master
Raeras
6.0 Architect
My Mortal+: Contessa Mercado
My Vampire: Gracie Hamel

Post by Raeras » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:56 am

I think the answer is no - but if a vampire is Riding the Wave (with the fighting style at least) Can they end it early or do they have to get all 5 successes?
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:14 am

Raeras wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:56 am I think the answer is no - but if a vampire is Riding the Wave (with the fighting style at least) Can they end it early or do they have to get all 5 successes?
If they stop before the 5 successes they go into normal frenzy.
WW6 Rules Master
TLotts
Player

Post by TLotts » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:08 am

In the Fairest clause of the Riddle Kith Changeling contract, it says that the ling gets 'a number of appropriate Merit dots equal to her Wyrd'. Is that effected by things like Dual Kith or Potent Kith merits? Those don't usually effect things other than Kith blessings, but this is directly tied to the new Kith assumed by the contract, so maybe? Like if a PC had Wyrd 3, Dual Kith, and Potent Kith 2, would they get 3 dots of merits for the Wyrd 3, 2 dots because that would be Wyrd 3-1 for the Dual Kith Penalty, or 4 dots for Wyrd-Dual Kith penalty + Potent Kith??