Rules Clarifications (Player Input required!)

Discuss rules and clarifications for Chronicles of Darkness (aka 2nd Edition/2E) publications.

Discussions can include books not available for play in Wanton Wicked.

Moderators: WW7 Rules Master, WW7 Administrators

Zerd
Integral Player
My Vampire: Yokai Ishida -

Re: Rules Clarifications (Player Input required!)

Post by Zerd » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:45 pm

thank you very much
orion330
Integral Player

Post by orion330 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:37 am

Sorry if this is beating a dead horse (and Thank You so much for all these clarifications!!), but 1 more question on the Aether Wind example.

You said that all the spells effects are determined by the factors, even these secondary effects, so if I cast Aether Wind with reach for Heavy Winds Environmental Tilt and duration of 1 hour and the scale of 1 person (as opposed to an area), would that mean that the Heavy Wind Environment would follow that person around for an hour (since they are the subject/scale factor of my spell) or just stay in the area they were in when the spell was first cast?

I originally thought it would just stay where they were when it was cast, but because you said it is determined by factors and is not a lasting secondary effect, I believe this now means that my spell (and its environmental tilt) will now follow and stay with the subject, since I cast on him not an area.

[Casting a fire spell at 4 subjects in a room is different then casting a fire spell to fill a large room (and by side effect burning anything in said room like those 4 subjects and anything else in there) despite the fact they are the same scale factor, right?]

If it does stay with the subject, is there no way to get away from the wind/tilt? clearly running inside (or into another room if you are already inside) doesn't work if the wind will keep following you for an hour (usually the only way to end an environmental tilt is to get out/away from it).
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:29 pm

orion330 wrote:Sorry if this is beating a dead horse (and Thank You so much for all these clarifications!!), but 1 more question on the Aether Wind example.

You said that all the spells effects are determined by the factors, even these secondary effects, so if I cast Aether Wind with reach for Heavy Winds Environmental Tilt and duration of 1 hour and the scale of 1 person (as opposed to an area), would that mean that the Heavy Wind Environment would follow that person around for an hour (since they are the subject/scale factor of my spell) or just stay in the area they were in when the spell was first cast?

I originally thought it would just stay where they were when it was cast, but because you said it is determined by factors and is not a lasting secondary effect, I believe this now means that my spell (and its environmental tilt) will now follow and stay with the subject, since I cast on him not an area.

[Casting a fire spell at 4 subjects in a room is different then casting a fire spell to fill a large room (and by side effect burning anything in said room like those 4 subjects and anything else in there) despite the fact they are the same scale factor, right?]

If it does stay with the subject, is there no way to get away from the wind/tilt? clearly running inside (or into another room if you are already inside) doesn't work if the wind will keep following you for an hour (usually the only way to end an environmental tilt is to get out/away from it).
Hmm. The way it probably works is the secondary effect will go off of your area for the given scale, which you can raise normally. So for a default target of 1 youd make the area within arms reach around them windy, but they could leave normally. With multiple targets it gets a little finicky and so it likely means the area gets split between them if theyre too far apart for it to be in one spot. But Ill do some reading because Im not 100% on this answer.
WW6 Rules Master
Wolfpact
Integral Player
My Wolf-Blooded: Deirdre Westbay

Post by Wolfpact » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:26 am

Ling mechanics question:

Would activating Cloak of the Elements count as 'Donning armor' for the purposes of negating Phantom Glory when activated with its Catch?
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:28 am

Wolfpact wrote:Ling mechanics question:

Would activating Cloak of the Elements count as 'Donning armor' for the purposes of negating Phantom Glory when activated with its Catch?
No. Only physical and external arms/armor would count. The 'armor' provided by cloak of elements is simply mechanics.
WW6 Rules Master
magus666
Integral Player

Post by magus666 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:30 pm

Do social bonus dice from different Statuses stack? For example, in the mage venue, if the Heirarch of the city (Consilium status 5), is also the Deacon of the Silver Ladder (SL status 5), and you are a member of both the Consilium and Silver Ladder, does that apply a +10 bonus dice to social pools? Or is it only the highest status modifier?

What about Status in totally different fields? If the Heirarch is also the CEO of the Company you work for (Business Status) or the leader of a Mystery Cult that you belong to (since, if I am correct, MCI also counts as status for other members of the cult)?

What if the Heirarch also had Striking Looks (lol)?

Also, are mundane modifiers still limited to +/- 5 total after all modifiers are added up? (I believe this was the rule in 1.0?) That is, if you have modifiers of +5, +3, and -4, you would add them all together for a +4, but with a limit of +5 or -5. (Supernatural modifiers can break this limit though, I believe)
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:27 pm

I'll look and see if any devs have ever commented on that, but I'm going to say no to status dice bonuses stacking, of any kind. Doesn't affect other dice bonuses like striking looks though.

Beyond that, any single modifier is limited to +/- 5, and generally any given circumstantial modifer accounts for everything at once and is then also at +/- 5. So you could have an equipment bonus of +3 to climb and then another +3 because it's a gentle slope, for a total of +6, for instance. At least, I couldn't find anything preventing it; the only mention of +/-5 was for a single given modifier.
WW6 Rules Master
Zerd
Integral Player
My Vampire: Yokai Ishida -

Post by Zerd » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:51 am

If a Werewolf character wanted to have a spirit as the equivalent of a familiar what merits would he use? True Friend, Retainer with the combination equating to be a familiar?
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:33 pm

Zerd wrote:If a Werewolf character wanted to have a spirit as the equivalent of a familiar what merits would he use? True Friend, Retainer with the combination equating to be a familiar?
The house rules page covers supernatural retainers, which is what this would fall under. You could indeed take True Friend in addition.
WW6 Rules Master
Ephsy
Wicked Supporter

Post by Ephsy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:31 am

I think you should consider making a thread only for magic questions for mage. Been practically all that for the last 3 or 4 pages.
Curiosity killed the mage.

Player of Aaron Buel & Shosuke Ishio.
Xyld
Integral Player

Post by Xyld » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:42 am

On the above post by Ephsy, I agree.

As long as I am here, I have a question regarding merits that can be acquired through status -

If an item being sought has another merit as a prerequisite (for instance the Advanced Library requires Safe Place) does that character need to have the prerequisite to requisition the item?
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Assuming the FAQ comes out at some point, that will likely override a few of the rulings I've made, so I'd like to wait until then before making anything dedicated to mage rulings
Xyld wrote: As long as I am here, I have a question regarding merits that can be acquired through status -

If an item being sought has another merit as a prerequisite (for instance the Advanced Library requires Safe Place) does that character need to have the prerequisite to requisition the item?
Yes.
WW6 Rules Master
HourEleven
Player

Post by HourEleven » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:18 am

Regarding Embracing the Wyrd vs. dropping your mask. Page 49 of the overall playtest V6 compilation states that dropping your mask confers an exceptional success on all contract rolls, or uses the highest of your successes rolled, your wyrd, or your mantle for numeric activation rolls. Firstly, some contracts key off of both successes rolled inherently and whether or not an exceptional success was achieved (Fang and Talon comes to mind, 24 hour duration on exceptional yet successes still determine magnitude of success).

What's more, embracing the wyrd first and dropping your mask confers no additional benefit... Yet neither does embracing the wyrd ping huntsmen and open gates like solely dropping your mask does. This seems like an odd incongruity, as well as the fact that dropping your mask first and THEN embracing the wyrd implicitly grants the benefits of both. Hence, it's confusing for me. How do these two powers relate, exactly?
WanWic 6.0 characters: Catherine Adams, Cynthia Rush
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:10 pm

HourEleven wrote:Regarding Embracing the Wyrd vs. dropping your mask. Page 49 of the overall playtest V6 compilation states that dropping your mask confers an exceptional success on all contract rolls, or uses the highest of your successes rolled, your wyrd, or your mantle for numeric activation rolls. Firstly, some contracts key off of both successes rolled inherently and whether or not an exceptional success was achieved (Fang and Talon comes to mind, 24 hour duration on exceptional yet successes still determine magnitude of success).

What's more, embracing the wyrd first and dropping your mask confers no additional benefit... Yet neither does embracing the wyrd ping huntsmen and open gates like solely dropping your mask does. This seems like an odd incongruity, as well as the fact that dropping your mask first and THEN embracing the wyrd implicitly grants the benefits of both. Hence, it's confusing for me. How do these two powers relate, exactly?
The exceptional effect only applies if the number of successes doesn't scale anything. If it'd benefit from both, you only gain the automatic successes.

As for embracing the wyrd, what it means is if you drop it for free as part of EMbracing, all it does is the visual effect, no benefits/drawbacks. If you drop it normally AFTER the fact, with the normal system, the benefits/drawbacks apply normally.
WW6 Rules Master
SoulGambit
Integral Player

Post by SoulGambit » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:04 pm

For Mystery Cult Initiation, can you have a level grant different benefits t a level based on your splat or role? i.e. I was thinking of having a Mystery Cult grant Air of Menace to veterans who fought on the front lines and carry the scars of battle with them, while supporters get Empathy. Also thinking of the fourth dot granting Cacophony Savvy to Vampires, but don't want to teach non-vampires Cacophony Savvy (which feels firmly in "put the cult down now" territory) so I was hoping to give an alternative benefit to other splats.