Rules Clarifications (Player Input required!)

Discuss rules and clarifications for Chronicles of Darkness (aka 2nd Edition/2E) publications.

Discussions can include books not available for play in Wanton Wicked.

Moderators: WW7 Rules Master, WW7 Administrators

Cinn

Re: Rules Clarifications (Player Input required!)

Post by Cinn » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:01 pm

How will multiple fighting styles work in this iteration of Wanton Wicked? Can you use Duck and Weave from Street Fighting as well as Defensive Strike from Martial Arts in the same round of combat?
Wolfpact
Integral Player
My Wolf-Blooded: Deirdre Westbay

Post by Wolfpact » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:08 pm

The general rule is you can't spend the same thing twice. No using two maneuvers that both use 'lose Defense', etc.
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:01 pm

Cinn wrote:How will multiple fighting styles work in this iteration of Wanton Wicked? Can you use Duck and Weave from Street Fighting as well as Defensive Strike from Martial Arts in the same round of combat?
Yes, but all penalties stack and as mentioned, you can't give up the same trait twice, including by bits and pieces (that is, if you have defense 2, and you have three abilities requiring a -1 to defense, you can only use two of them because you can't take a penalty to it when already at 0). So, in other words, no special rules.
WW6 Rules Master
Cinn

Post by Cinn » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:11 am

I am looking at the scales chart for spells in the Mage book. Does a mage need to impose a -2 penalty to any spell targeting someone with the giant sized merit? Healing them? Giving them +3 on a dice roll? Shooting a lightning bolt?
Ephsy
Wicked Supporter

Post by Ephsy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:12 am

Cinn wrote:I am looking at the scales chart for spells in the Mage book. Does a mage need to impose a -2 penalty to any spell targeting someone with the giant sized merit? Healing them? Giving them +3 on a dice roll? Shooting a lightning bolt?
Yeah, and -4 if the size is 7, and -6 if 8.
Curiosity killed the mage.

Player of Aaron Buel & Shosuke Ishio.
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:23 am

Cinn wrote:I am looking at the scales chart for spells in the Mage book. Does a mage need to impose a -2 penalty to any spell targeting someone with the giant sized merit? Healing them? Giving them +3 on a dice roll? Shooting a lightning bolt?
Anything directly targeting them, yes.
WW6 Rules Master
BloodyQuill
My Vampire: Walter Ashcrofte

Post by BloodyQuill » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

That seems strange and counter intuitive. Hitting something with a fireball or lightning bolt is harder now that their bigger? Im not sure that how it's supposed to work. I realize common sense doesn't always apply to magic but Im not sure that was the intent of the writers. From my understanding that particular penalty is for spells that deal with volume or areas not single target type spells.
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:20 pm

BloodyQuill wrote:That seems strange and counter intuitive. Hitting something with a fireball or lightning bolt is harder now that their bigger? Im not sure that how it's supposed to work. I realize common sense doesn't always apply to magic but Im not sure that was the intent of the writers. From my understanding that particular penalty is for spells that deal with volume or areas not single target type spells.
It was their intent, yes. No reason for Forces' direct damage spells to ignore size but not any other Arcana. Or for aimed spells to ignore size but not sensory. You're not creating a ball of fire and tossing it at someone (without Mastery), you're aiming spell energy that causes someone to erupt into flames (or similar), and it's harder for that magic to affect a larger target.

That said, only direct effects account for size. If you use transform energy to turn light into fire as it approaches a size 7 character, you suffer no penalty (beyond what might be needed for the amount of light you're converting)
WW6 Rules Master
Sciencecat
Integral Player
My Vampire: Sinead Kinsella

Post by Sciencecat » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:33 am

ChrisF wrote:
BloodyQuill wrote: That said, only direct effects account for size. If you use transform energy to turn light into fire as it approaches a size 7 character, you suffer no penalty (beyond what might be needed for the amount of light you're converting)
Is it even possible to be a size 7 character unless you are temporarily using some sort of magic? Size 6 is the max without spells, isn't it?
Cinn

Post by Cinn » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:43 am

Sciencecat wrote:Is it even possible to be a size 7 character unless you are temporarily using some sort of magic? Size 6 is the max without spells, isn't it?
Kith bonuses can put you a bit higher.
Drake Roberts
Wicked Supporter

Post by Drake Roberts » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:27 am

So how does that size thing work if you want to hit multiple targets of larger size, since both are steps of scale factor? For example, say I wanted to hit 3 targets, at least one of which was size 7. What's the dice penalty?
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:36 am

Drake Roberts wrote:So how does that size thing work if you want to hit multiple targets of larger size, since both are steps of scale factor? For example, say I wanted to hit 3 targets, at least one of which was size 7. What's the dice penalty?
The size scale factor relies on the largest size being affected.
WW6 Rules Master
Mephi

Post by Mephi » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:06 am

Cinn wrote:
Sciencecat wrote:Is it even possible to be a size 7 character unless you are temporarily using some sort of magic? Size 6 is the max without spells, isn't it?
Don't forget werewolf shapeshifting. Dalu, Urshul and Garou all increase size. Add Giant merit on top of that.....

In theory, anyone could also turn into an animal of large size, but elephants at size 15 are the only official such animal, which has its own issues. Next official biggest is the bear at size 7. All other animals would need to be customized creations.
Drake Roberts wrote: What's the dice penalty?
-4. If you wanted to hit eight people with someone of size 7 mixed in, it would be -6. Likewise, someone of size 8 in group of 2 would be a -6 penalty.

Or 1 Reach and -2 for Advanced Scale to cover all the above examples.
Sciencecat
Integral Player
My Vampire: Sinead Kinsella

Post by Sciencecat » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:48 am

Cinn wrote:
Even with Kith bonuses, your "standard" size is 6 with the giant merit. You can't buy a merit or have a spell that permanently leaves you at size 7+. I'm aware you can shapeshift, kith-buff, etc to reach much greater sizes, but the max "normal" size is 6, no?
ChrisF
Rules Master

Post by ChrisF » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:51 am

The permanent size doesnt matter either way, only the size at casting.
WW6 Rules Master