Merits that give more

Discuss rules and clarifications for Chronicles of Darkness (aka 2nd Edition/2E) publications.

Discussions can include books not available for play in Wanton Wicked.

Moderators: WW7 Rules Master, WW7 Administrators

Mephi

Re: Merits that give more

Post by Mephi » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:58 pm

Wolfpact wrote:Ordo actually get a merit to use Cult as Herd.
Its also worth noting that Clanbook Mehket was the first book to suggest vampires merge mystery cults and herds into one. Such cults are the main source of vitae for the only clan that lacks an affinity mind control power. Eventually, other games adopted the idea of magic cults into their games, but its worth noting that the very first use of Mystery Cult as a merit was for vampires to feed from.
Ephsy
Wicked Supporter

Post by Ephsy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:50 pm

Wolfpact wrote:The rules are established. It is you, Ephsy, who doesn't like them as written.
The rules say merits should get justification to be purchased. Establishing parameters on how to provide said justification is hardly changing them. Specially not when doing so encourages a better setting and game-play.
Wolfpact wrote:You can;t cater to everyone, as you said. In this case, the consensus seems to be 'we're not catering to you' and 'no, you can;t go force yourself onto other peoples' plots just because up think you ought be able to'. That vampire has no idea what a wound is 9.99999/10, and if they do and it's deliberate.. in either case no, you are the only one wanting a werewolf attack on their haven.
That's what it boils down to.
The consensus seem to be two people echoing themselves and uplifting their posts with unnecesary "+10 points to you" posts of their own instead of rebating my points.
Mephi wrote:Interesting fact - we have no rules on how Wounds work in 2e. Pretty much anything associated with the Inferno has been shoved to a far back burner to the point that its entirely plausable that there won't be a single plot involving them anymore. Technically, they still exist, but realistically, 2e is moving entirely away from the idea of vice-bound entities joining to gether into some kind of joint force. We don't even have Conditions or the like relating to Wounds! There's no rules, only the briefest of mentions. There's not even a mention in the antagonist section, let alone how they work! We don't even have Morality-equivalents, nor Vice-equivalents for werewolves, making this an even harder thing to grasp.

Idigam seem to have replaced the need for Bale Hounds and maeljin. They have the crazy essence-tainting abilities. They're the ones who twist werewolves into evil cults and against their spiritual nature. They're the unfathomable outsiders with misunderstood Banes and sanity-breaking presences. And relates to the hunter nature and duty of werewolves better than some idea of "sin." There really isn't a concept of sin in 2e in the first place.
Irrelevant, I can make a dozen examples of things some PC might take exception at that is kept under the wrap of blue-booking and never actually addressed IC.
Mephi wrote:Its not that RAW shouldn't be questioned. However, it is a stated ideal of WanWic 5 to hold as few houserules as possible, at least at start, so we can get a feel of the game. Furthermore, when arguing about making a change to the game, the change should be the one with the burden of proof.
Its one thing to voice a fear. Its another to force a change based on those fears without sound and solid arguments.
Setting down a procedure and precedent about how one goes about expending XP, as Bloody Quill already stated, without actually touching the math isn't a house-rule, it's a necessary thing on a massive game, to hold everyone to the same standards.
Mephi wrote:Its also worth noting that Clanbook Mehket was the first book to suggest vampires merge mystery cults and herds into one. Such cults are the main source of vitae for the only clan that lacks an affinity mind control power. Eventually, other games adopted the idea of magic cults into their games, but its worth noting that the very first use of Mystery Cult as a merit was for vampires to feed from.
I fail to see how this is relevant to the discussion.
Curiosity killed the mage.

Player of Aaron Buel & Shosuke Ishio.
Regentwill
My Vampire: Markus Kincaid

Post by Regentwill » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:19 pm

It's not just two people. I just don't personally feel a need to repeat my opinions.
Player of:
Markus the WIZARD
A_newfie
Wicked Supporter

Post by A_newfie » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:28 am

I kind of feel that this debate has boiled down to "I don't agree with you because you are stupid and aren't smart as me" so I really got nothing to add, kind of like Regentwill above.

At this point maybe what we should do is just leave it to the future staff to sort it out in whatever way they see fit? It's hardly like you'll change each others mind at this point.
TPO: Melinda Bowen and Charlotte Lottie Radcliffe!
JillA
Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Scrolls

Post by JillA » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:13 pm

Thanks for bringing up the topic and discussing it! I'll lock this so it's not too long for the WW5 Admin to read through!
~Wiki and Forum Admin~
Player Handle: eiragwen