Hi! I'm new here - and want to play a Mortal

This is an open discussion form for all things related to Wanton Wicked 5.

This is an out of character forum. For in character discussions, check out the The City: Portland, OR category!

Moderators: WW6 Storymasters, WW6 Administrators

51er
Integral Player

Hi! I'm new here - and want to play a Mortal

Post by 51er » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Hello

I am totally new to Wanton Wicked and, although I'm a long-term player with the "old" WOD, I'm not very familiar with nWoD.

Does anyone have any advice on what sort of Mortal concept would be most welcome? Or, perhaps even more importantly, what NOT to play?

Thanks

51er
Raeras
6.0 Architect
My Mortal+: Contessa Mercado
My Vampire: Gracie Hamel

Post by Raeras » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:18 pm

You definitely want someone who is able to be social. In a chat setting, unless you can really pull it off, anti social characters don't really work too well because the game is primarily a social one. Also you probably want to avoid someone who is purposely antagonistic.

Other than that - play what sounds fun!
Starborne
Integral Player

Post by Starborne » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:48 am

With the current SL, mortal+ probably psychics (mortal w- supernatural merits) would be a good choice. I'm happy to help you out with making a character if you want. Mine is a psychokinetic with other talents who is aligned with Aion Nuetra
Psychoclown
6.0 Architect
My Mortal+: Roy Kozlowski
My Vampire: Jerry Lakin

Post by Psychoclown » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:40 pm

Raeras wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:18 pm You definitely want someone who is able to be social. In a chat setting, unless you can really pull it off, anti social characters don't really work too well because the game is primarily a social one. Also you probably want to avoid someone who is purposely antagonistic.

Other than that - play what sounds fun!
I'll expand on this a bit. It is possible to play anti-social or antagonistic characters, but it is difficult. And I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't well versed in online chat based RP settings. But no matter what your concept/background/sheet looks like, you have to find reasons for your character to get involved and interact, even if they are anti-social or hostile to most other people. For example in WW 4.0 I played a very bitchy, anti-social Acolyte vampire. She scowled at most folks, hated to be touched, and usually spat out insults and threats upon first meeting, unless you had something she wanted or somehow piqued her interest (which was not always a good thing either). But I found reasons to get her involved in plots and interacting with people. Often she was griping that no one could do what she did as well as she did, so she had to get involved to make sure it was done right. Or she was pushed into roles (like Sheriff and later Primogen) by circumstances, her covenant, or the city at large, or just a desire to keep the idiots around her at bay. It was all RP fluff. I as the player loved being involved, but my character had to gripe and bitch as I pushed her into such roles.

What will not work in this setting a character who mopes in the background and refuses to interact with other player characters. Or my other personal pet peeve is the PC who acts like every detail of their lives is a big secret that cannot be revealed. Yes, we don't have to reveal every bit of our detailed background on first meeting, but people will want to know the basics about your character like what they are good at, what they can be asked to do, what they are interested in. Its usually the basis of future interactions. Refuse to reveal such basic info, and folks won't have a reason to look your PC up when the next plot hook is delivered.

One thing to keep in mind when developing your character is asking yourself what reason would other PCs have to interact with my character. And use those as the basis for RP hooks.
TPO Jerry Lakin (Vampire) and Roy Kozlowski (Mortal+)
randomim
My Changeling: Jennifer Silver
My Vampire: Gigglefitz the Clown

Post by randomim » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:48 am

My recommendation is come with ties to the setting. The hardest thing is getting started, so present your character as someone already in as it were. Don't rely on anyone to make your utterly ignorant character taught and involved unless you already have a friend that will do this. I think it is helpful to have as few barriers to play with you as possible
Player of Isabella Qilin Gracia and Pamela Salam