How come so many of your characters can't drive?

This is an open discussion form for all things related to Wanton Wicked 5.

This is an out of character forum. For in character discussions, check out the The City: Portland, OR category!

Moderators: WW6 Storymasters, WW6 Administrators

Kavu
Player

How come so many of your characters can't drive?

Post by Kavu » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:20 am

I was reading some old posts where people were listing strengths, weaknesses, etc.

I noticed a lot of ya'll can't figure out which pedal is the gas?
I hope Portland has a thriving Uber driver population.
magus666
Integral Player

Post by magus666 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Drive is a skill that rarely come up in play, so most people ignore it. How often do you see a car chase IC? In many years of chat games I think I can remember two. Also, even with Drive 0, it is assumed that you can (if you want) do normal, everyday operation of a vehicle (going to work, the store, whatever). Plus, in Portland, the public transit really is quite good!
connie

Post by connie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:28 pm

Drive 0 means you don't know how to stunt drive, or getaway drive, or drive while under attack, drive while hindered or any other non-normal driving skills, lol. Kind of like how Athletics 0 doesn't mean you're unable to walk.
TPO Annelise Berthold (Vampire) and Lyra Wolf (Lost Boys)
Starborne
Integral Player

Post by Starborne » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:52 pm

My character can drive : P, drive 1 for the win! Eventually I hope to get a 2 if I have enough points
Kavu
Player

Post by Kavu » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:58 pm

magus666 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:19 pm Plus, in Portland, the public transit really is quite good!
Infinite supernatural Pooooowwwweeerrr!!!!
Still better have your damn bus pass ready when you board.
randomim
My Changeling: Jennifer Silver
My Vampire: Gigglefitz the Clown

Post by randomim » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:15 pm

Yeah lots of people in portland choose not to drive, taking public transit or riding bikes so its perfectly normal for the setting. Plus some characters may have spent several decades in another world where people rode flying unicorns to work.
Player of Isabella Qilin Gracia and Pamela Salam
Al Rascala
Integral Player
My Vampire: Michael Youssef

Post by Al Rascala » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:19 am

My excuse is you all drive on the wrong side of the road :P
elhombre
Integral Player

Post by elhombre » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:35 pm

I think it's because a lot of people who play these games live in Europe or areas where public transportation is common buuuuuuut also there's some mechanical uncertainties because drive and resources 0 is interpreted to be you can't drive/have no money for a car.

My previous alts had cars btw but my current ones don't because they're a feral child and a lunatic respectively.

The lunatic uses uber and by that I mean he scribbles the word uber on some poor sucker's car and uses an untrained drive check to get where he's going.
Scarecrow
Integral Player

Post by Scarecrow » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:55 pm

Portland is a very environment conscious, progressive city with a wide array of public transportation options to limit emissions or the need to drive themselves. Between the MAX train lines, the bus lines or just simply biking many people simply take advantage of these rather than driving. Though there are still a lot of cars on the road, many people prefer to limit their own footprint by taking advantage of the options presented to them.
Cathaidan
Player

Post by Cathaidan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:09 pm

So, I'm loving some of the answers listed here, but let's take it and actually make it a World of Darkness, shall we?

People don't drive because cars are too expensive, even if you have money, because every dealership and maintenance garage is struggling enough to get by as it is, so they have to cut their own prices to the point where their employees are actually lucky to pocket minimum wage, just to draw in customers. This also means that the actual repairs and vehicles being sold are far below what they should be, and end up needing to be in the shop far too often.

Then let's compound that some more. Urban places take up the same land mass, but they are still more compact, with giant swathes of broken down/falling down buildings that nobody owns or wants to live anywhere nearby. This means that there is a massive influx of individuals from "the burbs" that is larger than exists in the real world that are all flooding onto the few "safe" routes into the city each day for work/school/shopping/daily activities. The congestion on those roads is only compounded by all the people who live inside these wastelands, in downtown, as they are all leaving at the same times to try and move through streets that are designed to maximize building space and not safe driving habits.

On top of all of that, Portland is a city that straddles a river, with bridges everywhere. It is the "City of Bridges" afterall. But most of those bridges are at least 20 years old, and in dire need of inspections, repairs, and replacements. All of that work is being done in the middle of those morning commutes, so that the companies involved don't end up losing money by having to pay their employees extra for taking the overnight shifts. So, what was a 4 lane bridge yesterday is now a 2 lane bridge today. Hope trying to cram what was already a traffic volume that was almost too large for a 4 lane road doesn't back up too far when it is only given 2 lanes to work with.

Then lets thrown in that "great" public transit system. Sure, it runs and it is usually closer to being on time than most things. Then again, if you're not there when bus leaves the stop one minute early, sorry about your luck. That simple fact is only more heightened on the rail lines. And, of course, all of that infrastructure is aging as well. And there is nothing like not knowing that your line is going to be shut down for two stops, so that you have to run ten blocks back when you do get to your exit. Good thing you're not in one of those cars stuck on the road trying to get around those construction crews!

Just some thoughts. It is all fine and good to think of reasons to do something, or reasons not to do something. Just make sure you apply it to the themes of the games, too. If this is meant to be a gothic setting, a true World of Darkness, don't let simple things like reality get in the way of making the story dark, even if you're just talking about your morning commute.
Ebram

Post by Ebram » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:32 pm

Cathaidan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:09 pm

On top of all of that, Portland is a city that straddles a river, with bridges everywhere. It is the "City of Bridges" afterall. But most of those bridges are at least 20 years old, and in dire need of inspections, repairs, and replacements. All of that work is being done in the middle of those morning commutes, so that the companies involved don't end up losing money by having to pay their employees extra for taking the overnight shifts. So, what was a 4 lane bridge yesterday is now a 2 lane bridge today. Hope trying to cram what was already a traffic volume that was almost too large for a 4 lane road doesn't back up too far when it is only given 2 lanes to work with.
This is the only thing that I disagree with, out of all that you said in your post. And it's more civic pride that drives this. Portland, when looked up, has a total of 14 bridges over the Willamette and Colombia Rivers, combined. Us Yinzers over here in Pittsburgh though, have a combined total of 446 total bridges, due to the proximity of the three rivers. I am not sure about the styling and the structure of the Portland bridges, but if they're anything like Pittsburgh? They're nearly indestructible. Some of the bridges in Pittsburgh have been standing, with very little maintenance, for quite some time, with the first full road bridges over the rivers being made as far back as 1818/1819.

I can see there being issues in the WoD with these, but logistically, if they're done right, the bridges are the least of the trouble, for transportation.
Cathaidan
Player

Post by Cathaidan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:58 pm

Ebram wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:32 pm This is the only thing that I disagree with, out of all that you said in your post. And it's more civic pride that drives this. Portland, when looked up, has a total of 14 bridges over the Willamette and Colombia Rivers, combined. Us Yinzers over here in Pittsburgh though, have a combined total of 446 total bridges, due to the proximity of the three rivers. I am not sure about the styling and the structure of the Portland bridges, but if they're anything like Pittsburgh? They're nearly indestructible. Some of the bridges in Pittsburgh have been standing, with very little maintenance, for quite some time, with the first full road bridges over the rivers being made as far back as 1818/1819.

I can see there being issues in the WoD with these, but logistically, if they're done right, the bridges are the least of the trouble, for transportation.
The Pennsylvania DOT performs 19,000 Bridge inspections a year. A bridge inspection will close, at a minimum, a single lane of traffic while it is being performed. More, depending on the equipment that is being used. The bridges in Pittsburgh are regularly having deck repair and deck overlays done on them. These are general wear and tear fixes that tend to prevent the need for major overhauls of bridge replacements. And I know these are done in Pittsburgh fairly often and fairly routinely. Before my father's engineering firm stopped contracting for bridge inspections, he would fly to Pittsburgh for about two weeks at least once a year. That's why I felt comfortable bringing it up. Having tagged along on a number of bridge inspections over the years, and having a father who "nerds out" over them so that you have to stop the car on the highway to take pictures of ones he likes, are historical, or when he sees a potential issue that he wants to notify someone about (and he would do this everywhere, including when we were in Europe and he didn't speak the language) I have become very familiar with what it takes to maintain bridges. I got so good at it, that I even ended up working in an engineering lab for a decade running tests on all of the materials and designs despite not having an engineering or math background. lol
Ebram

Post by Ebram » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:06 pm

Awesome. hard to call it an issue when you have so many bridges. A lane gets closed down for maintenance, you drive three miles down the road and find five more.
venaat
6.0 Architect

Post by venaat » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:38 am

My chars drive... the werewolf has absolutely no problem smashing in the rear and front bumpers of cars she tries to parallel park in between. Taking shortcuts through parks alleyways one time through a golf course. And sure her mini is missing its hood and the bumper is chained into place and the front and back windshields are missing but she drives.

My mage drives too she prefers flying while invisible though usually while blaring the superman theme.
Remember a Player is NOT their Character.
wyldepixie
Integral Player

Post by wyldepixie » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:50 am

I play Lore's zero dots as a combination of never having city driven and a sort of anxiety around driving. She has a rural ohio background and I have that she has her license but in an area that is mostly cornfields it's a different beast than Portland driving. She doesn't react well to traffic or high speeds or any changes but she can drive straight, turn, park, ect as long as she isn't under stress.