A (Mostly) new player, seeking advice.

This is an open discussion form for all things related to Wanton Wicked 5.

This is an out of character forum. For in character discussions, check out the The City: Portland, OR category!

Moderators: WW6 Storymasters, WW6 Administrators

Behemoth
Player

A (Mostly) new player, seeking advice.

Post by Behemoth » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:55 pm

Well, it's been a long while of lurking, and I finally picked up the new core rules. (Which I haven't finished reading yet, but seem like an overall improvement by far.) I've never RP'ed over a chat before, and I have no real experience with Just thought I'd ask upfront; What should I try to keep in mind as I start out? Pitfalls, overdone concepts, and such?

And since I'm taking up a thread already, I might as well finish up introductions with some other information? I'm interested in a lot of venues ( :mfl: :mta: :wtf: :ctl: ), and only have one I particularly dislike ( :vtr: ), but still have to get the 2E books, so my interest may shift as I read on. I've got a few character concepts in mind, but they're mostly similar, because I'm biased like that, which has me worried I should save the 'better' ones for when I have a better grip on the game.

So... yeah. I'm just new, and not entirely sure of myself, but now feels like a food time to try looking deeper into things.
Please don't use my username to refer to me.
wyldepixie
Integral Player

Post by wyldepixie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:56 am

This is definitely not some hard and fast rule or anything but I always play a mortal in my first time approaching a game. It let's me deal with a smaller rule set, less political stuff, and see how the site functions. Plus, as you make friends you might be more attracted to making a character to go with theirs or one venue might appeal to you more based on the activity going on that venue; rather than just which game splat you like best.
JillA
Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Scrolls

Post by JillA » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:49 am

I don't disagree with wyldepixie. It is important to have a rulebook or access to rulebooks - be they hardcopy or PDF - before you begin. With that said, Chronicles of Darkness, to play a mortal or supernatural mortal, is a great book, but most of the CofD/2nd Edition books are fairly self contained (with reprints of mortal merits, etc.)
~Wiki and Forum Admin~
Player Handle: eiragwen
Behemoth
Player

Post by Behemoth » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:29 pm

I'm back, with a pile of 2E books. CofD core, Werewolf (Now with better cover art~), and Mage (Which feels as rules-dense as ever, but the changes I've read over so far are big improvements, IMO.) The others I was interested in were out of stock at the time. But that's still more than enough to try starting out with. Still have quite a lot of reading to do, though.

Definitely starting with a mortal, probably an occult dabbling type, like I almost did in 1E. (Because the only character I've ever done before was a phys-primary, and I'd rather avoid those at first this time around.) More likely a social-primary, who doesn't completely understand what their messing with.

Edit - Yeah, gonna be playing a "Bartender dabbling in the occult.", or... something similar. Something about the kind of person who's part of (the/a) local hangout, one who's picked up a hint of something they shouldn't be looking into, they hear whispers, or see just a little bit more than they should. Likely going to give them a supernatural merit related to whatever phenomena caught their eye, but they'll be a social character for the most part.
Mephi

Post by Mephi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:12 am

Did you get the changeling pdf? Currently, there's no actual book for it, just the playtest material that you can download for free and read over.
Behemoth
Player

Post by Behemoth » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:54 pm

And that's what I get for not keeping better track of things. Dumb mistakes. Gonna go grab that, now. See if the new Seeming/Kith system is as good as it sounded.